The Centre for Employment Innovation (CEI) at St. Francis Xavier University is leading the new Diversity and Inclusion Program. CEI’s Navigator of New Initiatives Angela Bear will be working with Black leaders within the Nova Scotia Works employment services system on the program that will ensure career services providers better reflect the communities they serve.
In this phase, the program will fund fifteen (15) new career practitioner positions for African Nova Scotians and people of African descent within the province’s Nova Scotia Works centres. These permanent career practitioner positions will work one-on-one with job-seekers, supporting access to quality training and employment.
“I believe this is the first initiative of its kind done in this way, across the province, with Black practitioners and leaders in a system that is meant to serve everyone.” – Angela Bear, Centre for Employment Innovation
Partnering with the CEI on the Diversity and Inclusion Program are twelve Nova Scotia Works employment services providers:
- Valley African Nova Scotian Development Association (VANSDA) – Nova Scotia Works
- TEAM Work Cooperative – Nova Scotia Works
- Career Connections – Nova Scotia Works
- YMCA of Cape Breton – Nova Scotia Works
- Island Employment Association – Nova Scotia Works
- Futureworx – Nova Scotia Works
- Cumberland African Nova Scotian Association (CANSA) – Nova Scotia Works
- Southwest Employment Services – Nova Scotia Works
- Employment Opportunities Partnership – Nova Scotia Works
- Job Junction – Nova Scotia Works
- Opportunity Place – Nova Scotia Works
These providers are eager to welcome the 15 new career practitioners into their organizations.
“As an African Nova Scotian woman, this program gives me hope. African Nova Scotians have historically experienced multiple systemic barriers to training and employment. This initiative works with African Nova Scotians and persons of African descent to open doors and create meaningful employment opportunities.” – Angela Bear, Centre for Employment Innovation
The Province of Nova Scotia announced the new Diversity and Inclusion Program and $2.5 million in program funding from the Canada-Nova Scotia Labour Market Development Agreement in October 2020.
Diversity And Inclusion Program Press:
Diversity and Inclusion Program Press Release – Government of Nova Scotia